Sunday, October 20, 2019

The Birthday Book Tag

 

It’s my birthday! I saw this over at Quite The Novel Idea's blog on her birthday and knew I needed to do this tag for mine too. This was created by Antonia at Always Books.


1. Birthday Cake - a book with a plot that seems cliche but you adore it anyway 

 

 Forbidden romance! I don't always love a forbidden romance, but in this instance it works and that story is so intense. Not only is there a big age difference, but there is also the fact that Anna was hired by the T.J.'s family to tutor him. WHAT? Exactly. BUT - there are extenuating circumstances that lead them to be together. I'm sure many don't or won't agree, but I just couldn't put this book down. - ON THE ISLAND by Tracey Garvis Graves

2. Party Guests - your most anticipated book release this year

 

There were quite a few books that I've been waiting for, but there two are probably my top choices.

 

 Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell and Faith Erin Hicks & Never Have I Ever by Joshilyn Jackson

 

3. Birthday Presents - a book that surprised you with how much you loved it

 

The Secret Horses of Briar Hill by Megan Shepherd - I don't know what I was expecting at all with this story. I was drawn to the cover and title. Look how gorgeous both are! But I was completely blown away by the subject matter and how such a terrible reality was woven with such magical elements and written so beautifully. I think it made the topic a little less dreadful, but also helped you see what those poor children went through.

 

4. The Happy Birthday Song - a book the certainly deserved all the hype it got

 

Sadie by Courtney Summers - This book is probably my top book of 2019! If you haven't read it, then do it. BUT listen to the audiobook if you can. It's a full cast as so amazingly done. I finally picked myself up a hardcover copy for my collection of Courtney Summers books. It's an amazing revenge plot book all packaged up via alternating views from the main character and a serial podcast. Sidenote: Trigger warnings for paedophilia, child sexual abuse, rape.

 

5. Happy Music - a book with some beautiful and truly memorable quotes 

 

Holding Up The Universe by Jennifer Niven - so many amazing quotes in her books, but this one was my most recent read. 

“It's the suddenness of life changing in an instant that makes me anxious when I sleep and makes me tell myself to breathe when I'm awake.” 

 

“People are shitty for a lot of reasons. Sometimes they're just shitty people. Sometimes people have been shitty to them and, even though they don't realize it, they take that shitty upbringing and go out into the world and treat others the same way. Sometimes they're shitty because they're afraid. Sometimes they choose to be shitty to others before others can be shitty to them. So it's like self-defensive shittiness.”

 

“Dear friend, You are not a freak. You are wanted. You are necessary. You are the only you there is. Don’t be afraid to leave the castle. It’s a great big world out there. Love, a fellow reader” 


6. Getting Older - a book that you read a long time ago, but you think that you would appreciate it more if you read it as a more mature reader


I'm going with Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - I have not read this since I was a small child and I honestly forget a lot of what happens in the story, but I have a suspicion that I might just enjoy it a little more as an adult.


7. Sweet Birthday Memories - a book that kept you incredibly happy during a sad or demanding period of your life

 

 

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick - I remember reading this a few months after losing my Mom and just needing this style of romance and comedy in my life. I read the book and watched the movie and it was just what I needed at the time to help me with my grief. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...