Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Books I LOVED with Fewer than 2,000 Ratings on Goodreads

via That Artsy Reader Girl
I love this prompt! I generally enjoy a lot of books that don't always get mainstream attention so this is right up my alley and I've reviewed most of them. So if you are looking for something a little off the beaten path then you just might have found the right list. It's a very eclectic list as my reading tastes are all over the place - so a little bit of everything.

   
The Milestone Tapes by Ashley Mackler-Paternostro -I read and reviewed this book back in 2012 shortly after I started blogging. A very emotional story of a mother leaving behind tapes for each milestone in her daughters life since she was dying and knew she wouldn't be there to give her these pearls of wisdom and encouragement in person. My heart is aching just thinking about this story. After looking back at my review and now being a mother myself, I think I just might need a reread and a book of tissues! (PS loving the new cover too!)

Just A Normal Tuesday by Kim Turrisi - Here is the best piece of my review that I can post to summarize the book: "Everyone feels this heavy grief no matter how they lose a loved one, so even though this is a book about suicide and the aftermath for those left behind, know that it is a great book about healing for anyone experiencing loss." (Triggers: suicide, mental health) #liveyourstory

Tides of Honour by Genevieve Graham - A Canadian historical romance! Yes please! Ms. Graham is on my auto buy list for Canadian authors. I have loved everything I've read by her and I'm actually a little sad to see that many of her books have under 2,000 ratings on Goodreads. (Check out my review here).

The Rivals of Versailles by Sally Christie - There are three books in this series, but I think only the first has over 2,000 ratings on Goodreads. The entire series is worth reading - it's such a well written historical romance series. (See my thoughts on this book here).

Thief of Lies by Brenda Drake - The Book Jumper series! I loved this series and I'm quite surprised there are not more reviews for it. The covers are gorgeous, the story line if brilliant and all of the libraries described inside are to die for (and a very fun way to explore libraries around the world without having to leave your house). (My thoughts on book three).


A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler - One of my very first 5 star rating books reviewed on my blog. This book deals with so many emotions and mental health issues - specifically schizophrenia (so trigger warning here). It's so well written and thoughtful. Also, if you haven't spoken with Holly before you should totally reach out to her via social media, she is amazing to chat with.

The Heroine's Bookshelf: Life Lessons, from Jane Austen to Laura Ingalls Wilder by Erin Blakemore - This my friends is a book on my TO BUY list as I want to own a copy so that I can make sure to read everything mentioned inside it's pages. There are samples of authors and characters and then more references for those who want more like it. I posted about this book for International Women's Day.

The Secret Horses of Briar Hill by Megan Shepherd - I was drawn in my the title and gorgeous cover, but stayed because of the lovely writing and story line. I had never heard the term "still waters" before as a medical term, but after researching it and learning about the time period for this book, it adds to the story for me. I still need to write my review for it, but it was magical, beautiful and devastating.

The Brilliant Light of Amber Sunrise by Matthew Crow - Another that I haven't put my words in writing for yet. I just couldn't at the time, but hopefully one day soon I'll be able to voice my thoughts properly. The only thing I will say is don't go into it comparing it to The Fault In Our Stars... it's not fair to do so... let it stand on it's own merits.

Rebel With A Cupcake by Anna Mainwaring - This is a book about body image (for both thick and thin because it's not just felt by bigger girls) and it's told from the POV of a teen who is sassy to a fault, says what she means and you can't help but love her. I would say my favourite things in the book are the characters and their relationships and the themes explored throughout. The plot itself isn't the shining star here... Jesobel is!


So, tell me what books you just love, but haven't received more than 2,000 ratings on Goodreads yet? Let's share the love for our underrated faves!
 

10 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of any of these! I love that I'm finding so many new books with this prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a ton of new books from this prompt too.

      Delete
  2. i loved the secret horses of briar hill! it was beautiful in a really subtle way

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thief of Lies sounds great, and I love the idea of all the libraries! Clearly I need to look into this series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read Secret Horses and Thief of Lies from this list but I liked both of those. I'm surprised that Thief of Lies has so few ratings because I remember seeing it so often when it came out! Anyway, these look interesting. Quite a few of them look like they may cause some tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes quite a few did cause tears.

      I was surprised to as it had been everywhere at the time.

      Delete
  5. Oh, The Secret Horses of Briar Hill was so good! I really needed closure on that ending though.

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...