Saturday, February 8, 2020

Don't Read The Comments by Eric Smith | Review

Don't Read The Comments by Eric Smith
Published: January 28, 2020
Publisher: Inkyard Press
Pages: 368
Received: from publisher for honest review via NetGalley
Find Online: Goodreads

Divya Sharma is a queen. Or she is when she’s playing Reclaim the Sun, the year’s hottest online game. Divya—better known as popular streaming gamer D1V—regularly leads her #AngstArmada on quests through the game’s vast and gorgeous virtual universe. But for Divya, this is more than just a game. Out in the real world, she’s trading her rising-star status for sponsorships to help her struggling single mom pay the rent.

Gaming is basically Aaron Jericho’s entire life. Much to his mother’s frustration, Aaron has zero interest in becoming a doctor like her, and spends his free time writing games for a local developer. At least he can escape into Reclaim the Sun—and with a trillion worlds to explore, disappearing should be easy. But to his surprise, he somehow ends up on the same remote planet as celebrity gamer D1V.

At home, Divya and Aaron grapple with their problems alone, but in the game, they have each other to face infinite new worlds…and the growing legion of trolls populating them. Soon the virtual harassment seeps into reality when a group called the Vox Populi begin launching real-world doxxing campaigns, threatening Aaron’s dreams and Divya’s actual life. The online trolls think they can drive her out of the game, but everything and everyone Divya cares about is on the line…

And she isn’t going down without a fight.



First, trigger warnings! There is discussion of sexual assault, gender equality, racism, harassment/bullying, and doxxing.   

I first found out about this book via Twitter, as I somehow ended up following Eric on there after seeing some of his tweets retweeted by mutuals. Then one day his post about his book being set for publication popped up and I knew I needed to read it. Off to NetGalley I flew when I realized it was available. The title caught me first and I had no idea it was about gaming until I read the synopsis. I thought it was going to be more of a social media based romance. I ended up loving this storyline and the gaming aspects so much.
 
You do not need to be a gamer to like this book. Sure, it would appeal to you, but it's not necessary. I loved the premise of the main character being a female gamer who's just playing her way through games via online streaming to earn income to help her Mom. She's not out there to prove anything, she just loves gaming and makes the most of what she knows best. But once shit goes down, she wants to show everyone that she won't go down without a fight. That they can't get rid of her that easily. She's not just fighting for her gaming channel, but for other gamer girls too.
 

While all of the doxxing and online bullying gets going, we see Divya meet Aaron randomly in her favourite VR game, Reclaim the Sun. They join forces to search the galaxy for resources and uncharted planets. As their online friendship grows, the attacking becomes extreme. Aaron has a history of always wanting to help "the girl" he thinks needs saving, but in this instance he changes his thought process and decides the girl just needs someone to remind her what truly matters and to support her instead of standing up for her. Their little online meet cute is adorable, though I feel like I would have liked a few more scenes of them interacting and chatting in their little pop-culture-referencing and flirty tone. 

Her BFF is funny and supportive, but with her past making flashbacks during all the new and recent harassment, she kind of steps back a bit and that's where I think the online friendship with Aaron starts to become extremely important to D1V. Especially since he never pushes her for more info about herself than she wants to put out there. 

I love how Divya has her own group of followers in the game and via her streaming channel. And their name is amazeballs - #AngstArmada. I want an Angst Armada pin! 

Aaron's story is a great crossover as it deals with the making of games. I adored his group of friends at the beginning as they seemed to have a bit of fun banter during their work meetings and enjoyed each others company. Things take a turn there, but the friendship between Aaron and his BBF, Ryan, stands strong. A great friendship if I ever saw one. 

I love that the POVs are from a gamer and a game maker. I love that they mutually respect each other's life choices, goals and are supportive during both positive and negative life events happen. All of this and they've never even met in person yet. It reminds me so much of the amazing online friendships that I've made over the years via book blogging and the social media platforms I use for it.  

Quick round up... 
-strong friendships 
-pop culture references 
-diversity with POC representation 
-light in the romance department 
-how it handled the discussion of a previous sexual assault 
-standing up for what's right no matter the costs/outcome 

I would recommend this to anyone who loves a good friendship group dynamic, anyone who loves pop culture references, or anyone who enjoys a "good standing up for what's right" vibe. 

I have no idea if I've done this story justice with my thoughts, but I sure hope that I did. 



Have you read Don't Read The Comments yet, or do you plan to? Let's discuss in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...