Saturday, May 18, 2019

The 100 by Kass Morgan | Review

The 100 by Kass Morgan
Published: September 3, 2013
Publisher: Little Brown
Pages: 323
Received: via NetGalley for honest review (this is a catch up review)
Find Online: Goodreads

Join one hundred teens on an epic journey from outer space to a barely recognizable Earth in this high-profile commercial teen series.

In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland—before it's too late.

Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust—and even love—again.


Loved the premise of this book, people living in space trying to survive but needing to find a new forever home and soon and sending criminal teens to Earth to see if it is habitable again. Ummm I'm in!

Essentially, Earth had a nuclear war that destroyed pretty much everything and the people that escaped have been living on spaceships. Their little "world" is beginning to run low on supplies and in lieu of executing the teen criminals, they decide to send 100 of the to Earth as guinea pigs to see if Earth is okay again. Fun times!

The story is told from alternating POVs of four main characters - Clarke, Wells, Bellamy and Glass. I actually enjoyed this aspect of the story and think it added to the background info and the relationship building. Bellamy is my favourite of the four, though they all have interesting stories.

I think this is a promising start to a great new series. I cannot wait to see how they survive and what is in store for each of these main characters. I did not watch the TV show when it came out, though my husband did start a few episodes back then. I may just give it a try since I'm thinking about starting the second book in the series soon. 

Have you read any books in the series of watched the TV show? Thoughts... should I continue with the books or just skip to the show?

2 comments:

  1. I watched several seasons of the TV show, and I loved it!! I can't remember why I stopped watching (probably forgot about it while waiting for the next season to air?), but I also have a copy of the first book somewhere on my shelves that I've been meaning to get to for awhile. I've heard the books and TV show differ quite a bit, so I'm a little worried I won't like the book as much after watching the show, but hopefully that doesn't happen. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. I didn't realize that I had my comments set to moderate. Oops.

      I hope you had a chance to read the book to see if it lived up to the show. I've only seen a few episodes but hadn't committed to it like my husband had.

      Delete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...