Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Tips For Reading More Than One Book at a Time


I have a tendency to have more than one book on the go at any given time. It's not that I can't focus on one story at a time nor is it a question of trying to fit in ALL THE BOOKS. It's being able to read at any given time on multiple platforms. So I'd like to share with you the tips I use to maximize my reading time by reading more than one book at a time.

1) Read different formats 
I like to have an audiobook loaded on my cell phone, borrow a CD audiobook from the library or request review copies in audio format when available to me. This allows me to listen to a story during my commute or at lunch when I want to take a walk (if using my cell phone). I have the most time to "read" during my daily drive to daycare and then work, so I generally have an audiobook on the go and can complete one a week or every two weeks in this manner depending on length. 

I also use my tablet or cell phone for ebooks. Lately it's been my cell phone with the Kindle app since my toddler dropped my tablet and shattered the screen and I'm not in a rush to replace it just so she can take it over again. I do love reading ebooks mostly in times like at night when I need the lights off for hubby or toddler when they are trying to sleep, but I just want to read a bit more. This allows me set the screen to a mode that will not bother them while they sleep, but also allows me a little more book time!

And lastly, the tried and true print copy - paperback or hardcover. I find trade paperback to be my favourite because they tend to lay flat so I can have a book with me while eating my lunch at work and not need my hands to hold the book while I eat. So I have taken to carrying a physical book with me daily too. Even graphic novels are starting to appear in my rotation (I'm giving them another try).

2) Vary your stories/genres
I find that if you are trying to read multiple books at a time, then the best way to keep the stories straight are to read different genres or at least topics so you can keep the plots and characters straight in your mind. If I read two thrillers at a time, I find I start to mix up what is happening in the books and then get lost or confused. So normally, I'd have a thriller going, maybe a YA and possibly a romance or general fiction at the same time. This helps me keeps things separated in my mind a little better.

3) Sticky notes are your friends!
Don't think of sticky notes as a nuisance. Think of them as your friends. You can use just the little tabs to mark things that you find interesting or want to remember or use full size sticky notes to jot down thoughts along the way and put then on the pages of the book or on the inside cover. This will help when you write your reviews later.

4) Notebooks/Book Journals
The other way to keep track of your thoughts on multiple books at a time, is to use a notebook or a book journal to capture your thoughts, reference page numbers of important scenes, jot down quotes that mean something to  you, write about characters and their development or draw out a character map to show who people are and how they are linked (this is great for books with lots of characters or similar names).

I think having a child changed the way I read and it's not a bad thing. I just like to maximize the time that I do get to read, so I need the above options so that I can make that happen daily. 

Do you have any tips to share about best ways to read more than one book at a time? Leave a comment below!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...