Wednesday, November 2, 2016

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Vol 2 by Heather Nuhfer

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Volume 2 by Heather Nuhfer
Illustrated by: Amy Mebberson
Publisher: IDW Publishing
Published: September 24, 2013
Pages: 104
Received: for honest review via NetGalley and borrowed from library
Find Online: Goodreads | Amazon 

Get ready for another unforgettable adventure in the land of Equestria! Twilight Sparkle and gang are confronted with a perilous new danger in the form of a long-unseen enemy!




 
Okay, as a child of the 80's, I loved My Little Pony. My sister and I had a large collection of ponies and loved the show. So the first thing I noted about this new generation of ponies is that the drawings are much more more updated and fun. I still have a soft spot for the 80's style of MLP, but that is probably because I loved them so much as a child. I still have my Baby Glory MLP (it was my first pony ever - it's a replacement that I bought years ago since at some point we gave away all of our ponies).
Twilight Sparkle (new generation) & Baby Glory (1980s pony)
The six ponies in this story are Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. Twilight Sparkle is my absolute favourite out of the series since she is the bookish one and loves learning. (I just bought myself the Twilight Sparkle Funko Pop today).

source
I did not read the first volume of Friendship is Magic, but it's not necessary to read in order as it seems that each volume can be read as a standalone with it's own story happening within each one. In this installment, Rarity is kidnapped and taken to the moon where nightmares fuel evil. Rarity let her nightmares take over and she needs the help of her friends to overcome it. 



There is a great learning aspect to this story about nightmares not being real and that if you don't believe them then they can't hurt you. Each pony faces a different nightmare and has to learn to push past it and believe that it's not real. With the help of Spike, they are able to save Rarity. Spike is adorable in this book and his crush on Rarity shines in this volume.

After having read this graphic novel, I decided to watch the show on Netflix with my three year old niece. It was fun to see the story play out on screen and we watched volume one and two, so it was fun to see the ponies become friends and learn about their special gifts. My niece is a big Pinkie Pie fan. 

I'll definitely be picking up more of these graphic novels from the library and watching the show on Netflix with my niece. I'm really enjoying this new version of MLP.

Have you read any of the Friendship is Magic series? What do you think of this style of pony versus the ones from the 80's?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...