Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Learning to Love Gardening

So pretty much I love how beautiful gardens are and I promised my husband that when we moved into this house that I would take care of the gardens as they are absolutely stunning when in full bloom. The last two years I was terrible about getting the weeding done and remembering to water them. Soooo.... this year I have been a lot better about it. I spent five hours one Sunday afternoon weeding the back garden.... so many weeds! I did buy a book this year to help me take care of the plants... I needed to learn when to cut them back, how to take care of them during their blooming period, etc. So far so good.

I picked up a copy of The Perennial Care Manual by Rob Cardillo and think this is the best gardening book I've read yet (for someone like me who
loves plants, but doesn't always know the right way to take care of them. And is always eager to have a beautiful garden, but usually get lazy over the course of the year in taking care of them.) Pretty much this book has all of your basics in it, but it also has very specific care for each plant that you might have in your garden. I've added sticky tabs to all of the pages where there are plants that I have in my garden so I can flip back anytime. It's been extremely helpful so far this year.


And now...

The flower beds look lovely and the different perennials are starting to fill in and bloom, so after this mornings rain showers, I decided to go out and take some pictures of them flowers that are currently blooming. I cannot wait for the rest to start, there will be so many colours and textures. I'm lucky in the sense that these gardens were already planted and established before we moved in three years ago.

There are some pretty little statues mixed in. I want more though, so they will look like they are peaking out from under the plants. I would love to have another bird bath to put in the front garden. And I think it's time to pick up some more cedar chips/mulch since it started washing away in the rain.


Today I actually caught a picture of one of the many hummingbirds! I was delighted. And we have about six pairs of mourning doves in our backyard (I think it's because of the storage barns out back). We had a mourning dove nest and a robin's nest in the hedge by my kitchen window this year. It was wonderful to watch them grow (and my cat's loved sitting by the window trying to catch a glimpse).

Front garden - left side
The thing I love more about the gardens is the colours, smells and that it attracts so many birds. I could sit outside for hours (when the bugs aren't biting) and read while listening the song birds. We even have a swing on the front porch that I can lounge in while reading. I need to make time to do this more often.

So do you have any other hobbies that you are just starting to get into and enjoy? Tell me all about them.

If you love gardening and have any tips for me please leave them in the comments too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...