Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Interview with Jen from Lost in the Library: Ontario Public Library Week

 
Today Jen from Lost in the Library is stopping by to answer some questions about what it is like to work in a library setting, but not as a librarian - she is a Children's Programmer and Senior Library Assistant. I met Jen a year ago at the Kathy Reich's signing that I attended and she was absolutely amazing to chat with about blogging and libraries! Enjoy the interview! 



You mentioned that you are not a librarian per se, but that you work full time in Children's Programming. Can you explain what your job entails?

I work full time as a Childrens’ Programmer and Senior Library Assistant at a branch in our library system. I plan and facilitate programs for children of all ages and their families as well as oversee the day to day operations of the branch. I help with collection development, readers advisory, circulation, customer service and design outreach programs for our community.

How did you know that you wanted to work in a library for your career?

I didn’t always. I knew I wanted to work with children and I have a passion for books and reading and they both just seemed to fit together so well in the library. When I look back though to when I was a child I used to play “library” at home.

Did you have to take certain courses to be hired on at the library?

No, My educational background is as an Early Childhood Educator, which was one of the qualifications to do the job. I also have a background in event planning and worked in a book store for years.

What is your favourite part of working with children in a library setting?

I love sharing my passion for books and reading, and one of my favourite things is reading aloud to the children and families who attend my programs. I love seeing their reactions and sharing that moment with them. I like to think that I help them become lifelong readers in some small way.

What is your life like between being a blogger and working at a library? Is it always about bookish things?

Actually it is.. It feels like books 24/7 but I’m ok with that

Which 5 authors (dead or alive) would you invite to dinner?

Hmmmm just five? JK Rowling, Maggie Stiefvater, Libba Bray, Ami Mckay, Erin Morgenstern. All women I admire.
I noticed you have a second blog called Storytime With Jen – where did you get the inspiration for that blog?

When I began programming I found there to be a lack of programming resources on the internet. This is my way of filling the gap. It’s still relatively new and balancing two blogs has benn interesting. Also in the past year or so, I’ve begun a small consulting business (which I dream will someday be a big consulting business)- I design present workshops for professionals who work with children.

Speed Round:

Middle grade books or young adult books? Ahhhh...don’t make me choose.... both with a tiny percentage leaning towards YA

Action adventure or romance? Action Adventure

Twitter or Facebook? Twitter

Hardcover or paperback or ebook? Hardcover

Chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate

Movie version or book version first? Book Version of course!

Thanks for taking the time to be a part of Ontario Library Week here at Snowdrop Dreams of Books.
Fabulous-thanks for having me


About Jen:
I’m not a librarian. At least on paper. But in my heart I am. I have a passion for children's literature and a desire to inspire and share that with others.

My education background is as an Early Childhood Educator. I worked for a number of years in a childcare centre providing care and programming for children from preschool age to 12 before working in the library field. At the library, I've had the unique opportunity to combine my knowledge of child development with my passion for books. The goal in each of my programs is to provide activities which are literacy based and fun.


My hope, is to help children and their families develop a love of reading.


I adore the reader's advisory portion of my role. There have been many times (too many to count) where I've had parents approach me at a loss for what to give their child to read. What will inspire them to keep reading? I believe there is a perfect book for each child. One that hooks them, grabs their attention and helps them to realize that reading can be enjoyable, that it doesn't need to be just homework or another chore. For me it was "Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great" by Judy Blume. For my nine year old it was "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" by Jeff Kinney. I don't like to recommend books I haven't read myself.


I read mostly children's and young adult fiction so that I can help teachers, parents and kids make an informed choice when they're looking for a great read.

1 comment:

  1. Your job sounds like a lot of fun, Jen! It's so awesome how passionate you are about working with kids and helping them with literacy. =)

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...