Monday, October 24, 2011

Top 10 Witches in Movies/TV


Top Ten Witch Movies/TV

10. Wicked Witch of the West - from The Wizard of Oz
I grew up watching The Wizard of Oz every year with my Dad (it's his favourite movie of all time). The Wicked Witch of the West used to scare the crap out of me when I was younger. Her creepy green skin, her cackly laugh, and her freaking flying monkeys  who wouldn't be scared?!

9. The Sanderson Sisters (Winifred, Sarah, and Mary) - from Hocus Pocus
These creepy sisters literally suck the life out of the children of Salem. It was actually quite the movie with Sarah Jessica Parker playing the ditzy Sarah Sanderson. Who can forget the song sung by Bette Midler - I Put A Spell On You.

8. The Halliwell Sister (Prue, Piper, Phoebe and later Paige) from Charmed
Though I wasn't hardcore into Charmed, I did watch the odd episode and kinda liked these ladies and the shenanigans they could get into. They were witches who hid as normal women, but were known as The Charmed Ones in the magical community. It was based on the idea of Wicca and good witches instead of the traditionally thought of warty witches riding broomsticks and hanging with black cats for companions. 

7. The Owens Sisters (Sally and Gillian) from Practical Magic
The Owens family is cursed: if an Owens woman finds true love with a man, he will die tragically, as was the case with the father of Gillian and Sally, whose death also brought on their mother's death "from a broken heart".(wikipedia)  I love that these two sisters were so completely different, yet in the end would do anything for one another. The movie was more about relationships than witches - but there was some pretty fun witchy stuff in it.

6. Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter Series
Yes, she is one freaky witch, but her character is amazing. She is obviously crazy/mad and is possibly the scariest witch on this list. She's actually killed many wizards, witches and muggles - WATCH OUT!
5. The White Witch from The Chronicles of Narnia
The witch who made her subjects endure 100 years of Winter - she is quite powerful and evil. Very narcissistic and arrogant.

4. Maleficent from Disney's Sleeping Beauty 
I could just be biased here as Sleeping Beauty is my all time favourite Disney movie.
Maleficent is often viewed as the most powerful and sinister of the Disney Villains, frequently acting as their leader in many crossovers, and her scenes in the climax of the film are among the darkest and most intense produced by Disney. (wikipeida)

3. Lamia from Stardust
Lamia, the witch-queen who attempts to cut out and steal Yvaine's (the fallen star) heart to gain immortality as well as regain her beauty. She is a beautiful witch on the outside, but is so ugly on the inside - eventually her ugliness catches up with her when she can't have what she wants. She is spectacularly creepy in this movie.

2. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter Series
Hermione was the know-it-all girl at Hogwarts. She was also a human that was able to do very powerful magic. I loved her character because she was so bookish like me. She is definitely one of my favourite witches.

1. Willow Rosenberg from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Willow (both good and evil) happens to be my favourite witch of all time. She was the shy, nerdy, book geek at Sunnydale High. Then she evolves into this sweet wiccan girl. Then magic takes her over and she turns evil and does horrifying things. And it all comes full circle when she becomes a good, yet powerful witch once more. LOVE HER!

7 comments:

  1. Great choices. A couple I'm not familiar with. But, if you are going by the best looking it has to be The Wicked Witch of the West. What a great makeup job..... she still scares me.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooow!Cool post! But still my favorite one is Bonnie from The Vampire Diaries :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous choices! Willow is the first that comes to my mind when I hear the word "witch" - definitely my favorite. And the Halliwell sisters - I loved Charmed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh awesome list. Hermione is definitely my favourite. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Javid - Oh I haven't watched The Vampire Diaries yet, or I suppose I would have more to add. :)

    Pepca - i love Willow's character so much too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Charmed sisters have always been my favorite :) Willow too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!!! Maleficent is EPIC... and the Wicked Witch... this is an AWESOME post!!!

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...