Thursday, June 1, 2017

Harry Potter Spells Book Tag



Given that June is the launch of the Wizarding World book Club over at Pottermore, I thought it was perfect timing to do this tag. I found it at Pretty Deadly Reviews, but it was created by Kimberly Faye Reads.




1. Accio – the summoning charm. An upcoming release you cannot wait to get your hands on.

Two Nights by Kathy Reichs – she is one of my all time favourite authors and this is a new storyline she's starting that has nothing to do with her Temperance Brennan series. I'm pretty excited to read it.

2. Alohamora – the unlocking charm. Favorite series starter.

There are so many great series, but I'm going to go with Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone of course. This series means so much to me – you can read about it here.

3. Cheering Charm – A book that gave you all the warm fuzzies.

Landline by Rainbow Rowell – I still haven't my review for this one. It's such an emotional book filled with ups and downs, but I have such a soft spot for Rainbow Rowell's books. I love her writing so much and this book has such a great story.

4. Aguamenti – water-making spell. A book that made you ugly cry.

Just A Normal Tuesday by Kim Turissi made me ugly cry so hard. It tackles the story of a family and the aftermath of losing a loved one to suicide. It touches on all types of loss and just pulled at me so much.

5. Expecto Patronum – the patronus charm. A bookish hero or heroine you’d want around to protect you in real life.

Elizabeth Grey from The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker – she's strong both physically and mentally and can overcome adversity. She has a strong loyalty to her friends.


6. Lumos – creates light. A book you intentionally spoiled for yourself.

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green – I saw the movie at the theatre when it came out before reading the book (which I never do), but it was only because my sister and brother wanted to see it and I didn't want to be left out.

7. Imperio – the imperius curse. A book you wish you could make everyone read because you love it so much.

There are so many, but I'm going to go with a recent one I loved. Close Enough To Touch by Colleen Oakley – it was such a great story, it had all the feels.

8. Engorgio – engorgement charm. A book series you wish never ended.

Harry Potter (I know, I know). I think I would have liked to see a few more books of when Harry, Ron and Hermione were done school and starting their families. I know we get a glimpse of their lives in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, but I want more!

9. Wingardium Leviosa – levitation charm. A book with an uplifting mood or message.

The Brilliant Light of Amber Sunrise by Matthew Crow - “is a bright, funny, painful and refreshing novel about wanting the very best from life, even when life shows you how very bad it can be. It is a novel about how to live.” See I couldn't have said it better than this part of the synopsis from Goodreads. I still haven't put into words my feelings on this book, but for now those will do.

10. Obliviate – memory charm. A book you wish you could forget you ever read.

I don't usually finish books that I'm not into, so this one is hard. I usually DNF books if they are getting boring, frustrating, etc. I'll go with The Troop by Nick Cutter – I tried really hard to get into this one, but it was grabbing me that way I thought it should so I had to put it down and I've never gone back to finish it.


11. Anapneo – clears the target’s airways. An author whose books always get you out of a slump.

Lately it's been Mary Kay Andrews – she has some great southern romance novels that I've read and I think when a slump hits, her romances help bring me back. I loved Save The Date and Hissy Fit, so far. I have a ton of others on my wishlist.

12. Jelly Legs Jinx. A swoon-worthy hero or heroine.

Corporal Connor MacDonnell from Promises to Keep by Genevieve Graham – a Scottish man fighting as an English soldier in Acadia. He falls in love with an Acadian girl and does everything her can to try protecting and saving her family.

13. Arresto Momentum – slows down the target. A book that caused you to drop everything and read it.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline – once I finally picked this book up, I could not stop. I loved all of the pop culture references and the entire setting of the book.

14. Crucio – the cruciatus curse. A book that was painful to read.

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson – I know. Everyone loved this book, but it didn't work for me. I think I had higher expectations due to all the hype. I kept walking away from it and forcing myself to continue not matter how painful it felt to slog through, because I wanted to love it. I rarely force myself to finish a book I'm not into, but I finished it.

15. Rictumsempra – the tickling charm. A book that made you laugh out loud.

Confessions of a Domestic Failure by Bunmi Laditan – it was filled with so many laugh out loud scenes that many mothers would totally understand. Quick read too!



16. Expelliarmus – disarming charm. A book that made you want to send it flying.

The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice – I tried with this one, because it's Anne Rice! But I hated it from the start. I felt like it was dragging too much and I could not get into it. I had to DNF it.

17. Portus – turns an object into a portkey. Bookish world you wish you could visit.

Hogwarts and Hogsmeade – who doesn't want to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter?

18. Stupefy – stunning spell. A book with a shocking twist or ending.

I just finished a book with an insanely twisted and shocking ending. I did not see it coming! The Girl From Yesterday by Kathryn Miller Haines.

19. Avada Kadavra – the killing curse. A character death that destroyed you.

So many! Pretty much a ton of characters in the Harry Potter series made me ugly cry – Hedwig, Fred, Dumbledore, Snape... * sob *

20. Finite Incantatum – terminates all spells in the area. Best series conclusion.

I have a ton of series that I haven't even finished... so I'm not really sure on this one. Can you guys give me recommendations on series that have amazing endings?

5 comments:

  1. I love this concept! So clever! And I love that you picked The Witch Hunter as one of your choices! That's one of my favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read the next book in the series. I loved The Witch Hunter too.

      Delete
  2. This is a great tag! I agree with you about I'll Give You the Sun, I really disliked that book too. When I think of amazing endings to book series/trilogies my thoughts automatically go to Cassandra Clares Infernal Devices trilogy, and I also feel that Marie Lu does really great endings as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone with disliking I'll Give You The Sun. I wanted to like it, but just didn't. I haven't read Infernal Devices yet or any Marie Lu books - I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. This is so fun! The book I'd like to forget is Sarah's Key. So sad!
    Dianna

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...