Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Author Sally Christie`s Reading List | Guest Post | #TimelessTour @SimonSchusterCA


Today I am excited to host a guest post from Sally Christie for Simon & Schuster Canada`s Timeless Tour and I`m even more excited that it`s her suggested reading list! I always love seeing what books inspire authors and what books they enjoy reading. Enjoy this list of historical fiction!
 

Sally Christie’s suggested reading list 

 
Given that time travel is not happening (yet), good historical fiction is the best way to immerse yourself in the past.  Here are some of my favorite novels from across the years, that have delighted and inspired me:

Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel. Hell yes. I don't just love these books, I lurve them.


Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue.  Forget Room!  This is where it's at. I remember when I first read this book, more than a decade ago: I had this searing moment of jealousy. I thought: But this is the book wanted to write! I really love her historical fiction and can’t wait to read The Wonder.


An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears. Rich and detailed and opened my eyes to what good historical fiction could be. Magic in fine paper form!


As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann. The power of fiction to illuminates the lives of those we might not always think about – homosexual love in 17thcentury England.


An Ice Cream War by William Boyd.  Years - decades! - after first reading this I can still remember some of the scenes and visuals in this story about World War I as it plays out in East Africa. Stunning and one of my favorite books ever.



You can also see my reviews of Christie`s series The Mistresses of Versailles by clicking these links.


3 comments:

  1. I love suggested reading lists, especially for genres I don't read that often (like historical fiction). Hilary Mantel is an author I've wanted to check out for ages, and I love Emma Donoghue. Three cheers for Canadian authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of any of these authors besides Emma Donoghue. I'm curious about Hilary Martel as well.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't heard of any of these authors besides Emma Donoghue. I'm curious about Hilary Martel as well.

      Delete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...