Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Five Black Cats by Patricia Hegarty | Review

Five Black Cats by Patricia Hegarty 
Illustrated by: Julia Woolf
Published: September 1, 2013
Publisher: Tiger Tales
Pages: 22
Recevied: purchased
Find Online: Goodreads | Amazon

Five black cats set out through shadowy streets and dark forests. Along the way, they encounter bats and glowing jack o' lanterns. Then, they follow a tiny white mouse into a spooky old house for an annual Halloween party. The soft padded covers, rounded corners and sturdy board pages make this title a perfect fit for preschoolers!
I bought this as my daughters first Hallowe'en book. She is only four months old, but I enjoy reading to her and showing her the pictures. We were visiting with my sister and her little ones, so I brought the book with me to read to my niece and Spencer. My niece, Kaycee, is three years old and has a few other Hallowe'en books from this publisher, so I knew she'd love reading this. She also loves my cats, especially my black cat, Sasha. 

cousins
As soon as my niece saw the book she was excited. So I had Kaycee lay on the floor beside Spencer and read them the book. The board book pages were perfect to have my little helper turn the pages as I read. And the illustrations captivated both my daughter and niece, so I loved that it worked for different ages. The nicest thing about the book is the rhyming and the illustrations. The little cats wear different coloured collars and each has a different shape hanging from it, which my niece pointed out right off. And there are adorable little critters on each page that are recurring throughout, like the spiders. It also allowed me to ask Kaycee to count with me: how many cats are on the page, pumpkins, spiders, etc. And we worked on colours and shapes based on the cat collars. 

My niece would giggle and laugh at the things the cats were doing in the pictures and as she pointed them out to her cousin, it would light up her face. It ended up being a very interactive and fun book to read.


4 comments:

  1. This is such a cute book. What a fun introduction to Halloween for the little ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I've been reading it to Spencer the last few nights and she loves the pictures.

      Delete
  2. This book looks SO cute Chrystal! And that's always exciting getting to buy a kid their first book, especially the holiday themed ones! My first godchild was born last month and I told my best friend I am already dreaming about the library she'll eventually have because I'll be buying all the books for my goddaughter!
    I hope you have a good week!
    Emily @ www.rabbitholereviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my little one has a big library already. And it is always growing. Holiday themed books are so fun and I cannot wait to buy her Christmas books!

      Your goddaughter is lucky to have you. She'll have a great library too!

      Delete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...