Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
Published: April 19, 2011
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Pages: 293
Received: bought

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

I had seen this cover around for ages and finally broke down and bought myself a copy while on vacation. I started reading this on the plane ride home and simply could not put it down. I know that there are many out there who either enjoyed it or did not. I didn't really know the story of Persephone before, so all of this information was new to me. I know of the Greek Gods and Goddesses, but have never immersed myself in mythology to the point of picking apart a novel - thank goodness.

That being said, I really enjoyed the story of Kate and Henry. It was a slow story at first only because the background had to be built up so that Kate's character could be established and the second half of the novel could work with the understanding of who Kate is. And Henry was quite distant and full of sadness for much of the book, but considering he is Hades, I suppose that is to be expected? I liked that any kind of romance between Kate and Henry was not rushed and that Kate let herself figure things out at her own pace.

"Everything changes with time, one must simply be patient."
-Henry/Hades (The Goddess Test)

The tests that Kate needed to pass in order to keep her mother alive are not what you would expect and there are a few twists here and there, though a few things I figured out well ahead of time. There were, however, a few surprises at the end of this book that go along with the explaining of the tests.


I think I am going to like reading spins on mythology and I am actually looking forward to reading Goddess Interrupted, which comes out at the end of this month! And for those of you that enjoyed The Goddess Test, there is an e-novella available called The Goddess Hunt that you can find pretty much anywhere you can buy an ebook (for ereaders of all kinds).











Aimee can be found around the web at the following places:
Blog | Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

9 comments:

  1. Oooh I just got The Goddess Test from the library today!! I finished Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini yesterday so now I'm on a Greek mythology kick, haha! Great post :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! I really hope you enjoy The Goddess Test... I'm really looking forward to the next book! :) I should be reading it soon as well as the novella!

      Delete
  2. I LOVED this book, and Goddess Interrupted! I am a Henry girl all the way. <3 him. Lovely review! Glad you liked it. :)

    Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashelynn - great book eh? And I'm on the fence with Henry, but I think he has potential. ;) I'm looking forward to Goddess Interrupted!

      Delete
  3. i loved the Goddess test so much! Mythology is my reading obsession of the moment and I thought this book was mythology done right. I really liked the relationship between kate and henry and im excited to see how it continues in the second book. I have heard some mixed things about both books, but I have high hopes because of how much I liked the first one. Thanks for your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard mixed things too, but I always like to try books out for myself. :)

      Delete
  4. Goddess Test was really great! I love mythology, and they did it well. I read Goddess Interrupted, but I like this one better!

    ------
    Giselle @ booknerd.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Oh really? Was it not what you were expecting? I'm going to try reading it in the next week or so.

      Delete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...