Monday, December 13, 2010

Review: A Wallflower Christmas - Lisa Kleypas


A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa Kleypas
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperback
Pages: 201
Age: Historical Romance (some adult content)
Received: purchased a copy

Rafe Bowman has just arrived from America for his arranged meeting with Natalie, the very proper and beautiful daughter of Lady and Lord Blandford. His chiseled good looks and imposing physique are sure to impress the lady-in-waiting, and if it weren't for his shocking American ways and wild reputation, her hand would already be guaranteed. Before the courtship can begin, Rafe realizes he must learn the rules of London society. But when four former Wallflowers try their hand at matchmaking, no one knows what will happen...

Winning a bride turns out to be more complicated than Rafe Bowman had anticipated, especially for a man accustomed to getting anything he wants. However, Christmas works in the most unexpected ways, changing a cynic to a romantic...and inspiring passion in the most timid of hearts.
-from back of book cover

This was a really quick read – well written and lovely characters, but I wish it had been just a little longer, some parts felt a little rushed. It does make for a quick Christmas read. I had not read the Wallflowers series before this wonderful Christmas novel. I plan to pick up the others in the new year to read the lives of the Wallflowers.

I love all the great details that Ms. Kleypas has written about in this novel to convey a traditional Victorian Christmas, from the sleigh rides to the candlelit Christmas tree, she has the scenes set perfectly for this romance to unfold.

Rafe is by far the stereotypical rogue American, who some women would love to marry for the excitement and challenge, but others would shy away from. His character is actually quite likable as he finally learns what true love is all about. He changes before your eyes from the rake his sisters all know and love, into the perfect gentleman who cannot live without his love. Such a sweet love story.

As for the woman he falls in love with, well I can't say too much about her or it gives away the story. So what I can say is that she is as quiet as a mouse, but highly opinionated and has a sharp tongue. They compliment each other well and their flirting does not go unnoticed.

The Wallflowers themselves has a charming scene in which they learn the secret of the love blooming between Rafe and his chosen one. One by one the ladies are comforting the young lady as they enter the room and promise not to let the secret slip, but soon everyone knows that love is in the air, but not between the two intended.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has read the Wallflower Series or anyone looking for a nice little Christmas romance.


3 comments:

  1. I might have to give this book a try. I'm in the same holiday reading challenge and I haven't been impressed with any of my challenge reads yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was cute. I didn't realize it was an add on to a series though... so now I want to go back and read the others. :)

    My next one is Home in Time for Christmas - Heather Graham.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems like a great Christmas read! I love Victorian times so this would probably be right up my alley. Thanks for your comment on my blog, I am now following yours! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...