Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Review: Faerie Fate by Silver James (adult content)

Faerie Fate by Silver James
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Genre: Fantasy
Pages: 294
Age Group: 19+ (adult content)
Received: Purchased
If you could go back, do it over again, would you take a chance to find true love? What if you had no choice?

On her fiftieth birthday, the faerie send Rebecca Miller a thousand years into the past to find her happily ever after with Ciaran MacDermot, Chief of Clann MacDermot, the last Fenian warrior in his line. In the twenty-first century, Becca is old enough to be Ciaran’s mother. In the tenth, she’s young enough to be his bride.

The fae forgot to mention one slight stipulation. The lovers must be bound before the Festival of Light, or Becca will forever disappear into Tir Nan Óg, the faerie Land of the Ever Young.

Will they discover the binding words before time runs out and they’re torn apart forever? Or will their eternal love defeat their Faerie Fate?

Without the words, history is doomed to repeat itself.
I absolutely love stories like this - love withstanding time honoured traditions and trying to find love before it's lost. Not to mention the whole time travel issue where Becca is really a 50 year old now in the body of a twenty year old, eleven centuries earlier.

The detail in which the author describes the characters, their surroundings and their speech is perfect. Not too much detail to bore you, and not too little to keep you looking for more. The references to all of the Celtic words and meanings such as onóir bheith suáilce (honor with virtue) had a lot of meaning for me as my heritage is Scottish and my clans motto translates to Virtue Mine Honor. The clan motto for the MacDermot's clearly shows how the men of the clan fight and protect their own - including the newcomer, Becca. Even though she is not officially Ciaran's partner, the entire clan treat her like a treasured object and would die for her if need be. That to me is a quality in a man that would make any woman swoon.

Becca, is a strong willed, feisty, middle aged woman in the body of a young and beautiful lady. She finds the perfect balance between her knowledge from her previous life and the ease at which she can be young and free again. Ciaran, the gorgeous Fenian warrior, learns to love with his entire being. The two together create an amazingly strong pair who can battle any force. The romance between the two is unbelievably strong and very intoxicating. You will find yourself drawn to the power between them and urging them to figure out their fate before it's too late.

Silver James has done an incredible job of intertwining time travel, faerie lore, romance and action into one amazingly good read. It is an emotional roller coaster of a ride following these lovers through their biggest challenge yet. I look forward to reading the next book in the series Fearie Fire as well as the third which is yet to be released (she is currently working on it). I highly suggest this series for those fae lovers out there.

Silver James can be found at her blog Penumbra, as well as on twitter @silverwriter

4 comments:

  1. This one does sound really fantastic. I'm reading Outlander at the moment and this one reminds me a bit of it (though there are no faeries in Outlander). I love time travel romance and add faeries into the mix and I'm sold! This is a new book to me, glad I read your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jenny - glad you liked the review. This is the first book in a series. I'm looking forward to the others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought "Outlander" too, (with faeries) though I haven't read that yet (It's on my to-read list.) Excellent review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Katie - I haven't read the Outlander Series, but maybe I should. :)

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...