Monday, July 15, 2019

Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey

Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey
Published: June 11, 2019
Publisher: Avon
Pages: 400
Received: borrowed from library after seeing it all over Twitter!
Find Online: Goodreads

A brand new romantic comedy from New York Times bestseller Tessa Bailey!

Georgette Castle’s family runs the best home renovation business in town, but she picked balloons instead of blueprints and they haven’t taken her seriously since. Frankly, she’s over it. Georgie loves planning children’s birthday parties and making people laugh, just not at her own expense. She’s determined to fix herself up into a Woman of the World... whatever that means.

Phase one: new framework for her business (a website from this decade, perhaps?)

Phase two: a gut-reno on her wardrobe (fyi, leggings are pants.)

Phase three: updates to her exterior (do people still wax?)

Phase four: put herself on the market (and stop crushing on Travis Ford!)

Living her best life means facing the truth: Georgie hasn’t been on a date since, well, ever. Nobody’s asking the town clown out for a night of hot sex, that’s for sure. Maybe if people think she’s having a steamy love affair, they’ll acknowledge she’s not just the “little sister” who paints faces for a living. And who better to help demolish that image than the resident sports star and tabloid favorite?

Travis Ford was major league baseball’s hottest rookie when an injury ended his career. Now he’s flipping houses to keep busy and trying to forget his glory days. But he can’t even cross the street without someone recapping his greatest hits. Or making a joke about his… bat. And then there's Georgie, his best friend’s sister, who is not a kid anymore. When she proposes a wild scheme—that they pretend to date, to shock her family and help him land a new job—he agrees. What’s the harm? It’s not like it’s real. But the girl Travis used to tease is now a funny, full-of-life woman and there’s nothing fake about how much he wants her...



I knew this was coming out in June, but hadn't really decided if I would pick it up myself. BUT... after seeing a lot of talk on Twitter about the plot and characters, I decided that I couldn't pass it up AND as soon as I added the audiobook version to my hold list on Overdrive it came in that same day!! 

I've seen a lot of opinions on social media about this book both for and against, but let me lay down what to expect from this book: a fun contemporary romance involving an injured baseball player and his best friends little sister, some steamy sex scenes, some hilarious commentary, and some fun side characters that I hope to read about in coming books. I think the problem some people have is over analyzing the characters. I went into this book not expecting a deep story, nor did I go into it wanting to think deeper than what I was reading. I just wanted to enjoy a fun little romance with some great sex scenes and that is exactly what I got.

And I've heard many complain about Travis' use of "baby girl", but I honestly loved how he called Georgie his baby girl and the audiobook version just held a little extra when he was narrated as saying it. It reminds me of the character Derek Morgan on Criminal Minds and the way he always spoke to Garcia (hopefully some of you like Criminal Minds too and get my reference).

Okay so back to my thoughts.

Things I loved about this book:

1) The way that Georgie speaks the truth to Travis about life and pushes him to get up and move on with life instead of wallowing away in self pity. I loved how she nudged him in the right direction and was the thing that pushed him to prove he wasn't a nobody after injuring himself in baseball.

2) How Georgie has had a crush on Travis her entire life. How she tries to hide the fact even during their "pretend" dating charade. You can see how much she cares for him and is trying not to let herself fall for the real him versus the one she knew a kid/saw on TV. 

3) I adored how Travis stood up for Georgie to her parents and others in town. How he pushed people to see her as more than the kid sister or the kids party clown (though she loves that job so much). He helps her be taken seriously and makes her feel seen. Mission accomplished!

4) Their steamy sexy times! OH MY GOODNESS those were spot on. TWO BATS to the rescue!

5) The supporting characters: Georgies siblings Bethany & Stephen and her friends Rosie & Dominic. The added some quirky fun moments. Looking forwards to seeing then in the upcoming books in the Hard & Hammered series.

6) How Travis and Georgie end up being perfectly matched for each other. It's like they actually do fit together like a puzzle. 

“Dammit, Georgie. You had to be exactly what I need, didn’t you?”

So to wrap up, listen to it on audio if possible because Charlotte North does this book some serious justice and you won't be disappointed. And go into this story to enjoy a fun little romance with some majorly hot sex scenes that might leave you blushing. 
 
Have you read FIX HER UP? What did you think?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...