Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Task It Tuesday: Updating Old Posts

Task It Tuesday! created by the Awesome The Geeky Blogger

I was searching Pinterest for blog post inspiration and I came across a post about WHY + HOW TO UPDATE OLD POSTS. I have been meaning to do this for a long time... so I decided to make it my Task It Tuesday for the next little while.

Here's my to do list that I will choose from weekly (hopefully):
-edit format on old review posts
-update photos/images to ensure I'm using either my own images/free ones
-update posts to link to other posts ie: discussion posts, review posts to link to other books in series...
-update A-Z review tab
-check for broken links
-SEO

I'm not 100% sure which way I'll tackle this yet. By label, by date? This will be time consuming, but totally worth it. Perhaps it is best to work from oldest to newest and tackle all issues with each post: ie. format, links, images, SEO. That way I'm not editing a post more than once?

THIS WEEKS GOALS:
-fix/update five older posts 
-write one book review
-write one discussion style post

6 comments:

  1. I am totally in love with this list and feel like I now need to do this too :) I am going to check out the pinterest post because a lot of my old posts are from blogger before I switched to WP. I would bet they are a complete mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did another search on Pinterest for SEO related posts and found some great ones that I think I'll try to follow. I really didn't understand what SEO was, nor did I take the time to learn about it. But I have some time to work on old posts, update some things and learn SEO since I'm on maternity leave for a year. If I do a little each day then I can get through all of my old posts in no time. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this idea. I think I need to participate in this too. :)

    I updated all the SEO in my reviews a few years ago. Recently I've been slowly going through my reviews and updating all the info in my UBB Plugin. I have 527 reviews so it's slow going lol. I hope you get a lot accomplished this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while since I participated, but I figure it can only help me get back on track with blogging. I stepped away during my pregnancy and am only just starting to get back into reading/blogging when baby is sleeping.

      SEO updates are time consuming, but I'm hoping that it will drive traffic to my blog more. And I want to update some of my posts that I wrote long ago - I read that it's good practice to update them to keep them relevant.

      Sometimes I wish I had moved to WP since there are so many amazing plugins I keep reading about, but I feel like that is beyond me at this point. LOL

      Delete
  3. This is on my to do list as well and it is going to take SO much time but like you I think it will totally be worth it. Right now I'm trying to whip my GoodReads into shape because they're a hot mess. That way I'll know what books I have and need to have on my wish list as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made it very far on this list yet. Between taking care of a four month old and trying to get new content on the blog, it's taken a backseat. *sigh*

      I need to update my Goodreads as well and delete and update lists as well. Good luck with getting yours organized!

      Delete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...