Thursday, June 7, 2012

Armchair BEA: Beyond the Blog

Some really good questions today... all of which I have been thinking about recently.

1) Would you like to be involved elsewhere on the interwebs or possibly start writing for your local paper?

Funny that you mention writing for your local paper. I had been recently speaking with a counselor via my work and she was trying to help me realize some personal goals. While chatting with her she mentioned that perhaps my love for book reviewing, reading books, etc could be turned into a career that I would enjoy far more than the current one I am in. Funny enough that she even mentioned approaching my local paper to see if they needed a writer for book reviews in the paper. I haven't been brave enough to approach them or research the idea yet, but perhaps this little BEA exercise can give me that little nudge I needed to at least look into it and see if it's a possibility.

2)  Perhaps you'd simply like to start drawing an income from your blog? Are you monetizing your blog and how so?

This is another item that I've been looking at on my blog. I currently us Amazon Associates, The Book Depository Affiliates, and Commission Junction to try to earn an income on my blog to help fund giveaways because that's all I really would want to use the funds for (especially hosting international giveaways). So far, not so good. Apparently, I hadn't been maximizing the ways I can use these affiliations and links, so I am in the process of learning how to maximize them more effectively and increasing my SEO (ya I am still learning all about SEO too). I cannot believe how much there is to learn about promoting a blog and getting noticed, especially when your blog isn't genre specific like mine. It would probably be a lot smarted if I just chose a genre and concentrated on that, but I am not a genre specific reader so that wouldn't be being true to myself and my own reading preferences, so I'm toughing it out with my current choice. I've also decided to offer up adspace on my blog, but have only had one inquiry to date. So I think I still have a lot to learn and would love to find some great tips during Armchair BEA today.

So really I'm just looking to earn enough to host some more giveaways on my blog to thank my followers to believing in me. And I'd like to learn how to promote my blog more effectively. Oh and I suppose I'd like to write more thoughtful and meaningful posts besides my reviews. I have started writing discussion posts, but I think I need to find a better way to write them so that they receive more notice.

13 comments:

  1. I love how you look at your blog - and I hope you don't change it to genre specific because you think it would be better. I think promoting your blog is just number 1 no matter if you're genre specific or not - I'm not and personally prefer blogs that discuss a wide range of books. I'm even subscribed to blogs who don't read anything I would just because I like how they write or approach their blog.

    Tanya
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you. :) I think I will stick to what I am doing... seems to working so far and I'm not a genre specific reader so stick with what I know. ;)

      Nice to see you again!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I hope you do contact your local paper - it sounds scary, but I think it would be awesome. Keep dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done it yet, I'm going to check out all of the local papers first to see what they currently have going on for bookish stuff. I think there is also a magazine that the city puts out... perhaps I could write or review for them. :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck with it all! And yes, do call the paper! What's there to lose really? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suey! I am thinking about contacting them once my wedding day is over. Too much on my plate, but thinking it might be cool to try. :)

      Delete
  4. I like the newspaper idea. The only thing I do is the Amazon Affiliates. I hope you've enjoyed AC BEA!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go contact your paper and you can at least try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be trying in the fall, after my wedding. :) Thanks for the support.

      Delete
  6. If aBEA doesn't work to encourage you, how about some good ol' fashion nudging and encouragement? ;) You can do it, Chrystal! :D It doesn't hurt to try, and I hope once you try...cuz I know you will after all our encouragement, that it all works out. :)

    I'm totally clueless about SEO. I should probably look into it. :P lol I'd like to start doing some meaningful posts between reviews too. I guess I'll have to start doing some brainstorming. :) I really like your Deserted Island feature though, and one of these days I'd like to make a feature of my own. I need to start trying to think of stuff. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ambur! :) I'm going to try after the wedding. Too much happening now and it gives me time to research what the paper already has etc.

      I don't know a lot about SEO, but I am trying to learn.

      My feature just came to me one day, so I hope the same happens for you. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow i love seeing people working towards their goals. your current job's counsiler sounds like a good person telling you to work towards your goals, even if it isnt working for them, nicee!

    (Feel Free To Check Mine Out :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya the counselor was paid through my work, but is more there for people as people and not as employees. I found it awesome that she picked up on my passion and suggested things I could do to make myself happier. I was going through tough times work wise and personally... she was really great. :)

      Delete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...