Sunday, February 6, 2011

IMM (23)

In My Mailbox is a regular feature over at The Story Siren.

Among OthersI received this book for review from a new contact at a Canadian company called H.B. Fenn and Company Ltd.

It sounds so good! I cannot wait to read it.

Among Others - Jo Walton
Startling, unusual, and yet irresistably readable, Among Others is at once the compelling story of a young woman struggling to escape a troubled childhood, a brilliant diary of first encounters with the great novels of modern fantasy and SF, and a spellbinding tale of escape from ancient enchantment.
Raised by a half-mad mother who dabbled in magic, Morwenna Phelps found refuge in two worlds. As a child growing up in Wales, she played among the spirits who made their homes in industrial ruins. But her mind found freedom and promise in the science fiction novels that were her closest companions. Then her mother tried to bend the spirits to dark ends, and Mori was forced to confront her in a magical battle that left her crippled—and her twin sister dead.
Fleeing to her father whom she barely knew, Mori was sent to boarding school in England–a place all but devoid of true magic. There, outcast and alone, she tempted fate by doing magic herself, in an attempt to find a circle of like-minded friends. But her magic also drew the attention of her mother, bringing about a reckoning that could no longer be put off…

I also received a TON of catalogues to look through from the same contact so that I can request review copies from them. I am so super excited to have this opportunity. It boggles my mind actually.


EDIT:  I just found out that the company that sent me the above book and catalogues is declaring bankruptcy. *sigh* Guess I won't be able to request review copies now. Wonder if they will still honour the request I sent in already?!? Anyone ever have this happen before?

I also bought a copy of The Iron Queen! I couldn't resist as I have the others and love love love this series. If you haven't read it - I highly recommend picking up copies and reading it ASAP!

The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen)
 

10 comments:

  1. Among Others sounds really unusual and interesting to me. I'm really jealous that you got a review copy... think they'd have one for me? ;-) Enjoy!

    My IMM: http://wonderlauren-reads.blogspot.com/2011/02/in-my-mailbox-six-aussie-ya-novels.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks Chrystal! I'm not sure how that works but I always rely on google in times of crisis. Among Others sounds really interesting though, so enjoy! -C

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Little Wonder Lauren - I recieved the review copy from a distribution company that just filed bankruptcy the day after i received it in the mail.... but you might be able to contact the publisher to see if you could review a copy for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Book Junkies - Well I did at least receive Among Others, but I received an email stating that since they are dissolving as a company they can no longer send out books per the request. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, somehow my original comment disappeared, so I'm sorry if I comment twice:) I just stumbled across Among the Others the other day and it sounds amazing, I can't wait for your full review of it! And The Iron Queen I adored, it's one of my very favorite series:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer! That totally stinks....Maybe you will be surprised by a few you already requested.

    Just hopping by...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jenny - it sounds so good... I hope I can get to it shortly my review pile is growing by the day LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mailbox! Enjoy :)

    My Post

    Lu
    http://quickquotesquills.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I received Among Others, too and all the catalogues but I didn't know they declared bankruptcy. Not good news:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw it on Twitter so I googled it. Then I received an email regarding my requests for review books and that they won't be able to do it anymore. *sigh* Oh well... the catalogues are pretty to look through and see when things are coming out. :)

    The good thing is that the publishers aren't going anywhere.

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...