Thursday, February 10, 2011

Classical Romance

I think it's interesting that I love to read so much, but have yet to read many classics. So with that said, I've decided to make a list of the Classical Romance novels that I want to read this coming year. 

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - I have always seen this book on lists of Classics to be read and since I read The House of Dead Maids, I have the urge to read the book that inspired it.
The story is that of an orphan who falls in love above his class and the consequences that drive all of his subsequent actions. Wuthering Heights presents both the implications of strict social and class boundaries as well as the timeless subject of a love that will not be denied. Catherine Earnshaw, Heathcliff, and the windswept moors that are the setting of their mythic love are as immediately stirring to the reader of today as they have been for every generation of readers since the novel was first published in 1847. -Chapters
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen- I have yet to read any books by Jane Austen, though I am not sure how I made it this long without having read any.
No novel in the English language has given more pleasure to its audience than Pride and Prejudice. Because it is one of the great works in our literature, critics in every generation reexamine and reinterpret it. But the rest of us simply fall in love with it-and with its wonderfully charming and intelligent heroine, Elizabeth Bennet. All readers are held fast not only by the novel's romantic suspense, but also by the fascinations of the world we visit. The life of the English country gentry at the turn of the nineteenth century is made as real to us as our own, not only by the author's wit and feeling but by her subtle observation of the way people behave in society and how we are true or treacherous to each other and to ourselves.Chapters -
Gone with the WindGone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell - This is my Mom's all time favourite Romance novel. And silly me - I haven't read it yet. I must make this a goal this year to read this book. 
Margaret Mitchell''s epic novel of love and war won the Pulitzer Prize and went on to give rise to two authorized sequels and one of the most popular and celebrated movies of all time. Many novels have been written about the Civil War and its aftermath. None take us into the burning fields and cities of the American South as Gone With the Wind does, creating haunting scenes and thrilling portraits of characters so vivid that we remember their words and feel their fear and hunger for the rest of our lives.
In the two main characters, the white-shouldered, irresistible Scarlett and the flashy, contemptuous Rhett, Margaret Mitchell not only conveyed a timeless story of survival under the harshest of circumstances, she also created two of the most famous lovers in the English-speaking world since Romeo and Juliet. -Chapters

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...