Saturday, April 30, 2011

Review: Playing Hurt by Holly Schindler

Playing HurtPlaying Hurt by Holly Schindler

Release Date:
March 8, 2011
Publisher: Flux

Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 312
Source: Purchased
Buy the Book: Amazon | Book Depository
Star basketball player Chelsea "Nitro" Keyes had the promise of a full ride to college—and everyone's admiration back home. Then she took a horrible fall during senior year. Now a metal plate holds her together and she feels like a stranger in her own family.

That summer, Chelsea's dad hires Clint, a nineteen-year-old ex-hockey player and "boot camp" trainer, to work with her at a northern Minnesota lake resort. As they grow close, Chelsea finds that Clint's haunted by his own tragedy. Will their romance end up hurting them all over again—or finally heal their heartbreak?
Okay I am not an athlete, nor am I into sports themed books, but let me tell you that this book will not let you down.You do not have to even understand sport analogies to fall in love with this book. Ms. Schindler's writing is just so fabulous - it flows beautifully and feels more like you are watching something happen instead of sitting reading about it. How can you not fall in love with this writing:
Our kiss is a Midwest summer storm, swift and frightening. It's dark clouds and the sweet smell of impending rain all at the same time. It's knowing I should run inside, take cover, but not being able to pull myself away from the danger, the thrill.
I also really loved the fact that the chapters flip back and forth between Chelsea and Clint, so that you gain insight from each about who they are, what they feel and how they perceive things. You learn about Chelsea's problems right off the bat, but with Clint it's hinted at in different glimpses of the past - you learn about how he was hurt at the same time that Chelsea does.

Normally the love at first site type of story isn't as appealing to me because it's not really believable at all, but in this story I just kept cheering Chelsea and Clint on as they finally started letting themselves absorb what was happening instead of denying the emotions they were experiencing. The entire story is crafted so well that I just couldn't put it down.

I will definitely be recommending this book to all of my friends and fellow bloggers. And Holly Schindler is now one of my all time favourite authors - I will be on the lookout for her next novel.

3 comments:

  1. *happily sighs* I just LOVED Playing Hurt! Glad we're on the page page in that regard! I'm not into the love at first sight sort of thing in a novel usually either but there was no way I could resist falling for and hoping that Chelsea and Clint would be together! Being able to see both of their points of views as well was just another added touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definately one book I will be keeping on my bookshelves forever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I can't wait to read this one. I forgot that it was duel perspective, that makes me want to read it even more.

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...