Saturday, January 8, 2011

Review: Debt-Free Forever by Gail Vaz-Oxlade

Debt-Free Forever: Take Control of Your Money and Your Life
Debt-Free Forever by Gail Vaz-Oxlade

Release Date: 07/12/2009
Publisher: Harper Collins Canada
Age Group: Adult 18+
Pages: 306
Overall:
Source: Purchased
Interest: Finance, Self Help
Challenge: 111 Challenge
Buy the Book: Amazon

Gail Vaz-Oxlade’s brand of money management isn’t full of tricks. There’s no hidden agenda. There’s no mystery. As Gail says, “Money isn’t rocket science -- it’s discipline.” Gail has made it her life’s mission to make money management something everyone can do. And she won’t take no for an answer. Hers is a style that’s unique, with a voice that is demanding, and an approach that is holistic.
Debt-Free Forever will help readers take responsibility for, and control of, their money. Gail’s rules are simple: you can’t spend money you don’t have, you must save something, and if you’re in debt, you must get the albatross off your back. But Gail knows following the rules can be tough. That’s why Debt-Free Forever gives you a road map to getting out of the red in 36 months or less. By following Vaz-Oxlade’s detailed plans and drawing on her unflagging faith in people’s ability to take control, readers will reach the right destination: a debt-free life.
Don’t buy this book if you’re a wuss. Don’t buy this book if you’re a whiner. Don’t buy this book if you hate the idea of doing whatever it takes -- no matter how hard -- to get out of the mess you made. This book will make you squirm. This book may make you cry. This book is the way to move from the crappy place you are now to a wonderful life where you are in control.
--From Debt-Free Forever
I LOVE GAIL! 

If you have not watched her TV show 'Til Debt Do Us Part - you are missing out.  My Mom first told me about Gail and her Magic Jars as a way to help me get out of some debt. I was hooked from the first episode I watched and honestly as soon as this book came out I went and bought it. So this is a re-read for me, but it really is great to be going over this information another time. I have stickies on a handful of pages that I refer back to all the time. 

Gail will teach you how to make a plan and budget properly, how to get your debt paid off fast and effectively (as long as you stick to the plan - which I have fallen off the wagon a few times, but keep getting back on), how to change your habits and most importantly how to save and plan for your future.

She has given me hope that all is not lost, though there are days that I feel like I am doing things all wrong. And since I have her trusty charts and worksheets I can keep track quickly and easily and adjust as needed. My biggest spending vice would be books - it is hard for me to NOT buy books. I just need to fit it into my budget.

Oh and the Magic Jars - she teaches you to split your money up into specific categories and you put your money in the jars for the week and when it is gone it's gone. It's a great learning experience! 

I highly suggest picking up a copy of the book for yourself if you need some guidance, even if you are not in debt for a lot of money it can be a helpful guide to see if the things you spend your money on are realistic or not. It's a great help to get an emergency fund setup and saving for the big things.

I cannot wait to read her next book... Never Too Late: Take Control of Your Retirement and Your Future. I think having the two books together you can't go wrong. So watch for my review of Never Too Late coming in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...