Friday, January 21, 2011

Review: Choker by Elizabeth Woods

Choker
Choker by Elizabeth Woods

Release Date:
January 4, 2011
Publisher:
Simon and Schuster Canada
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 233
Overall:
Source: Finished copy from publisher for review
Interest: Debut Author
Challenge:
2011 Debut Author Challenge, 111 in 2011 Challenge
Buy the Book: The Book Depository

Sixteen-year-old Cara Lange has been a loner ever since she moved away from her best and only friend, Zoe, years ago. She eats lunch with the other girls from the track team, but they're not really her friends. Mostly she spends her time watching Ethan Gray from a distance, wishing he would finally notice her, and avoiding the popular girls who call her "Choker" after a humiliating incident in the cafeteria.

Then one day Cara comes home to find Zoe waiting for her. Zoe's on the run from problems at home, and Cara agrees to help her hide. With her best friend back, Cara's life changes overnight. Zoe gives her a new look and new confidence, and next thing she knows, she's getting invited to parties and flirting with Ethan. Best of all, she has her BFF there to confide in.

But just as quickly as Cara's life came together, it starts to unravel. A girl goes missing in her town, and everyone is a suspect—including Ethan. Worse still, Zoe starts behaving strangely, and Cara begins to wonder what exactly her friend does all day when she's at school. You're supposed to trust your best friend no matter what, but what if she turns into a total stranger?
I had no idea what this book was about - I just knew it had a really pretty cover. I received this book as a surprise from Simon & Schuster Canada for review. 

I'd like to start off by saying that this book is so creepy and will keep you on the edge of your seat. I had no idea where this book was headed nor that it was a thriller. As you start off you learn the story of Cara who is kind of an outcast at school and get bullied a lot. You feel sorry for her as her peers tease her and call her names like Choker after having choked on food in the cafeteria. It is that relentless bullying that makes you feel for Cara and wish she had her best friend with her again.

Then enter Zoe, her long lost best friend from her childhood. Almost like magic when she needs her best friend she appears. It's the perfect timing and Zoe helps her through some tough times. I immediately did not like Zoe - I loved her character because she was so off the wall, but I had a bad feeling about her. She was trouble with a capital T, but Cara only sees her best friend from fifth grade. Zoe is the complete opposite of Cara in looks, attitude and personality. Zoe seems to be very possessive of Cara like a stalker almost and that is the part that started creeping me out. She would be her cheery best friend one minute and then super freaky stalker girl the next.

Cara starts off being this shy, meek and quiet character who I kind of actually disliked. She didn't stand up for herself or speak up. It frustrated me so much. Then after her best friend arrives she has the courage to be more outspoken, take chances on being friends with her peers and even talking to boys. She is a much more outgoing person once she knows she has her friend there to help pick up the pieces should she fall down along the way. I like her better as the more confident Cara.

There is a great plot twist that will leave you shocked. I love a good mystery or thriller and am always trying to figure out what happened and who did it, but I didn't quite have the whole thing figured out. I was so certain I was right and I am happy to say that the book did not disappoint in completely throwing me off course.

6 comments:

  1. I am dying to know the plot twist! Everyone keeps talking about it and I too want to be in the know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a pretty good plot twist. :) I hope you enjoy it when you get to finally read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed Choker too... that ending was pretty awesome, eh? And then it ends so suddenly that it's all you can think about... it was pretty awesome! ^_^

    I can't believe those girls would make fun of someone choking... so mean....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was impressed with it. I was worried though because I had read some mixed reviews, but I just think some people are picky. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heyo. I liked this book...I think. I guessed what was happening with the eye twitch at the beginning. But I thought it was a great concept. But knowing what was going on was kind of a bummer. I'm a new follower. I found you through the DAC and got very excited that you were a fellow Canadian Blogger.

    Happy Reading.

    ~Sara @ Just Another Story

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sara - Ya I kind a figured out part of it - I tend to figure out movie plots quickly too. LOL

    I love meeting fellow Canadians!

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...