Sunday, November 21, 2010

Review: Expressive Photography - The Shutter Sisters

Release Date: September 3, 2010
Publisher: Focal Press
Pages: 176
Received: from Goodreads First Reads for honest review
For the first time, incredibly talented, artistic, and experienced female photographers team up to bring a fresh and creative guide to shake up the world of technical photography manuals. This is all about the moment and the expression to showcase the beauty in the lives of women though the lens of a camera. This will show how to capture the emotion of the subject through visually stunning images and well-written and engaging words. Inspired female photographers will be able to turn artistic ambitions into creative and passionate images through well-thought themed chapters such as childhood, togetherness, nature, animals, and stillness.
This book was written by the Blogger's Choice Award nomiees - the Shutter Sisters. After reading this amazing book of photography, I immediately had to check out their website. The book and the website are gorgeous and so inspiring. I already have some great ideas for photos that I want to take of my cats and people around me - if only I had a digital SLR camera... well my cheapo digital will have to do for now - at least I learned a lot about composition which will make my photography even better. 

The lovely blend of unique styles combined from the Shutter Sisters makes for a very stunning and passionate collection of imagery. From the boisertous imagery of children at play to the simple and touching photo of a couples' hands to the black and white detail of an elephant's face, this collection is an extraoridinary reference for all aspiring photographers out there.

The book is laid out with themed chapters all containing the same sections including approach, perspective, composition, lighting, details, and processing. The chapters range from portraiture and still photography to nature and creatures. There are little blurbs from their blog spread throughout the book as well as tips on how to get the same effect shown in the book on select photos and exact directions to achieve it. 

I would highly suggest this book to intermediate photographers who have the main skills down pat as there are only a few samples where they guide you through taking an exact style of photo (which ISO, exposure, aperture setting etc) - a lot of it is up to the photographer to figure out. I will however be using this as a reference as I slowly get back into photography.

4 comments:

  1. thank you so much for this glowing review. we appreciate it so much and are thrilled you've gotten so much from Expressive Photography.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome Tracey! It is a wonderful book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I have always thought about getting into photography as a hobby and this sounds like the perfect book to enlighten me. I think I may also want to take a class.
    Anyhow, I wanted to say that I really enjoy your blog and because of this I want to give you an award. The info can be found at the following link:
    http://bookworm-meags222.blogspot.com/2010/11/i-won-award.html
    Thanks and happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meags222! This book was great - I hope you like it.

    Thank you so much for the award. :)

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...