Monday, January 13, 2020

Call Down The Hawk by Maggie Stiefvater | Review

Call Down The Hawk (Dreamer Trilogy #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
Published: November 5, 2019
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Pages: 472
Received: borrowed audiobook via library
Find it online: Goodreads

The dreamers walk among us . . . and so do the dreamed. Those who dream cannot stop dreaming – they can only try to control it. Those who are dreamed cannot have their own lives – they will sleep forever if their dreamers die.

And then there are those who are drawn to the dreamers. To use them. To trap them. To kill them before their dreams destroy us all.


Ronan Lynch is a dreamer. He can pull both curiosities and catastrophes out of his dreams and into his compromised reality.

Jordan Hennessy is a thief. The closer she comes to the dream object she is after, the more inextricably she becomes tied to it.

Carmen Farooq-Lane is a hunter. Her brother was a dreamer . . . and a killer. She has seen what dreaming can do to a person. And she has seen the damage that dreamers can do. But that is nothing compared to the destruction that is about to be unleashed. . . .


I honesty just finished binging the entire audiobook series for The Raven Cycle before this book was released. I adored Maggie Stiefvater's writing and Will Patton's narration. I have not brought myself to write up a review for the books in the Raven Cycle series yet, but having just finished listening to Call Down The Hawk, I NEED to get my thoughts out.

Ronan was my favourite of the boys in the Raven Cycle books and I was so excited to see his story continue in this new Dreamer trilogy. It wasn't quite what I was expecting and part way through I wasn't sure if this book was actually for me. BUT - it really was amazing. The more I listened, the deeper I fell into the story. It just added to my love for Ronan too as you really see more of his thoughts, his selfless side and get to truly understand him.

I really enjoyed seeing more of Ronan and Adam (I totally ship them! ♥♥♥) and hope that Adam makes more of an appearance in the rest of the trilogy. I also loved seeing the dynamics between Ronan and his brothers, Matthew and Declan. The Lynch brothers are a hot mess and God do I ever love them for it. I feel like I have new appreciation for Declan and can totally understand why so many fans are Team Declan now. He finally shows another side of himself in this story and not just his boring and stuffy persona we've come to know.

I loved the introduction to the new characters - especially Jordan/Hennessy.  ♥ The storyline with Jordan is probably my favourite part of this book - it was so interesting and I was always wanting more from her POV. No spoilers here - but WOW what a life.

Seeing into the world of dreamers and those who are searching for the dreamers was fascinating. It was like watching a manhunt take place and you're rooting for the underdog. You can't help but want them to escape the future that is being pushed on them. I am so looking forward to seeing what happens next!

If you haven't listened to The Raven Cycle or Call Down The Hawk in audiobook format - DO IT! Will Patton has nailed all of the characters, Maggie's beautiful writing sounds so wonderous while listening to him narrate. 

Oh and after seeing variations on the cover release, I've decided this one is my favourite so far.




Let me know if you've read either The Raven Cycle or Call Down The Hawk. I'd love to know your thoughts, which characters you love and what you think might happen next.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...