Monday, June 13, 2011

Review: The Butt Book by Artie Bennett

The Butt Book The Butt Book by Artie Bennett

Publisher: Bloomsbury
Received: from author for honest review
Pages: 32
Age: 4-8

Make way for the butt!

Tall butts, short butts, round butts, flat butts.
Butts on mummies and butts on mommies.
Butts on giraffes and elephants and dogs and… FISH?

Yes, even fish butts are celebrated in this tribute to backsides, rumps, tushies, keisters, heinies, and derrieres. Dozens of funny rhymes and pages of laugh-out-loud pictures pay homage to a body part that keeps kids and grown-ups giggling with glee.

Bottoms up!

I don't normally review Children's Books, though I do read them from time to time, but I couldn't pass this one up when Artie wrote to me asking to review it. How can you not laugh at a book all about butts?
 
I received my copy late last week and had a great time reading through it. Artie even personalized the book for me: "Dear Chrystal, I know you will have a butt load of fun with my preposterous book! Bottoms up!!! Artie" 

Okay so now onto the book itself. I didn't really know what would be in a book all about behinds, but it was really well written, it wasn't gross and you find out more than you probably ever knew about butts before. The book just makes you smile from the very beginnning and made me feel like a little kid again. This book is exactly what kids want to read, something funny with great illustrations. It's a lighthearted story that rhymes all types of names for bums - I giggled quite a few times especially at this line: "Some names for butts have foreign flaier: tuchas, keister, derriere!" 

The illustration, by Mike Lester, is so bright and colourful and very stylized. It's been nomiated for Rueben Award by the National Cartoonists Society. I can see why! Great job Mike!

I think this book embodies what reading should be all about - fun! Reading for fun is the best way to enjoy reading, so why not a topic as silly as butts? It will have all the kids giggling!

If you have little ones in your life, I think you should go out and get this book to read to them... they will be giggling the whole time - especially if you read it with a sing-songy voice to go with the rhymes!

Thanks so much Artie!

1 comment:

  1. How fantastic. This seems like a book that will absolutely fly off shelves. I couldn't imagine what it could possibly be about, but I love the idea that it has some actual information mixed in with all of the silliness :)

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment and try to reply to them all. Thanks for visiting my little piece of the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...